Monday, August 9, 2010

Inaugural Posting

The name Watashi no Karate Michi was chosen deliberately after a considerable amount of contemplation on my behalf.
I have devoted most of my life to pursuing excellence in Shotokan Karate. The Karate path I have chosen to follow is not wide with appealing curves and scenic bends. The road I have taken is straight, narrow and paved with hardship.
The Japanese phrase Watashi no Karate Michi can be translated as "My Karate path". The practitioner of Karate must appreciate the significance of the Japanese word Michi.

A dictionary translation of the Japanese word Michi:
Path, way, journey, course of action,moral principles, and right way of life.
The practitioner will face many challenges in their daily struggle to perfect the physical movements of Karate. Dedication, commitment, and relentless effort are the ingredients required to overcome the hurdles on the path to perfection. The practitioner will refine their character as a consequence of pursuing the perfect Waza (Technique). This is where the beauty of Karate emerges.
The intention of Watashi no Karate Michi is to assist and hopefully inspire those that follow the same Karate path as myself.

Doryoku,
Scott Middleton